The University of Virginia (also The University, Mr. Jefferson’s University or UVA) is a public research university located in Charlottesville, Virginia, United States, founded by the 3rd President of the United States, Thomas Jefferson in 1819, ranked 2nd overall among the U.S. universities, just behind UC Berkeley. It is the only university in the United States to be designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Throughout its history, the UVA has won praise for its unique Jeffersonian architecture, and the first higher education institute established independent of any religious sect. It is also notable in astronomy, philosophy and other academic fields
UVA’s purpose: to inspire students’ continuous free exploring spirit through the understanding of nature and human society.
UVA’s campus has an area of 1 thousand and 50 acres and is located in central Virginia, Charlottesville City. From the city to the state capital Richmond City just an hour and a half, to the U.S. capital Washington, DC takes two and a half hours, to the nearby Blue Ridge Mountain and Shenandoah National Park just half an hour. According to the “Money” magazine, Charlottesville City is one of the America’s best cities. Besides, the U.S. “Point of View” magazine ranked Charlottesville 7th best city to carry out business in the United States.
UVA has more than 18,000 students, 6,800 of them are studying master’s and doctorate courses, about 1,500 international students from 110 countries. It has a total of 13 libraries with a total collection of 4 million volumes and over 47,000 of journals, newspapers and magazines. UVA also have five e-Library Centres with state of the art facilities. According to the research-oriented American Library Association’s report, UVA’s Libraries are in the top 20 in all U.S. research libraries. UVA’s Health Science Centre is a well-known academic medical centre, as the U.S.News and World Report reviewd: the academic medical centre has the best doctors and well-equipped medical environment in the U.S., not only is one of America’s best hospitals, and is one of the top teaching hospitals.
UVA’s Academical Village in the campus is the most notably designed buildings, the American Institute of Architects called it “the proudest achievement of American architecture in the past 200 years, and was designated a World Heritage Site in 1988. It is very rare that the university campus to be seleced as World Heritage so far.
Colleges and Schools
10 colleges and schools：College of Arts & Sciences, School of Architecture, Darden Graduate School of Business Administration, Curry School of Education, School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of Law, School of Medicine, McIntire School of Commerce, School of Nursing, Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy.
- School of Architecture’s main disciplines: architectural history, architecture, landscape architecture, planning, etc.;
- College of Arts & Sciences, including black people and African Studies, anthropology, regional studies, art, Asian studies, astronomy, biology, chemistry, drama, economics, English, environmental science, French, foreign affairs studies, comparative literature, German, history , art history, linguistics, Italian, mathematics, music, philosophy, physics, psychology, public administration, religious studies, Slavic languages and literature, sociology, Spanish and other subjects;
- Curry School of Education has subjects of management and supervision, clinical psychology, education consultants, curriculum and guidance, education, educational psychology, health and physical education, higher education, special education, language barriers, pathology and visual science and other disciplines;
- Darden Graduate School of Business Administration has subjects of business management;
- School of Engineering and Applied Science, including aerospace and aerospace-line space, applied mathematics, applied technology, biomedical, chemical, computer science, electrical science, engineering physics, materials science, nuclear, systems, etc.;
- School of Law has subject of law;
- McIntire School of Commerce has accounting, business studies, management information systems;
- School of Medicine including medicine, neurology, anatomy, biochemistry, biophysics, microbiology, pharmacology, psychology, surgery;
- School of Nursing has Nursing
- Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, including: problem solving and policy analysis, leadership, public policy, demanding applied, experiential learning
Currently, 52 subjects can be granted bachelour’s degree, 93 subjects can be granted master’s degree, 52 subjects can be granted doctoral degree.
Number of Students
UVA has more than 18,000 students, 6,800 of them are studying master’s and doctorate courses, about 1,500 international students from 110 countries.
Undergraduate total cost / year: US$ 34,027
New TOEFL over 90 or IELTS over 7.0
SAT math 660
SAT verbal 580